Blog post 7: Journalism ethics
September 10, 2013 21 Comments
Last week you had an optional reading link to NPR’s ethics statement. This week, you will find an ethics statement on the site of a different news organization. The organization can be primarily magazine, newspaper, radio, television, or online. However, it CANNOT be a professional group organization, such as SPJ, ASME, RTDNA or NPPA. It must be an organization that produces journalistic products, such as magazines, newspapers, TV or radio news programs, or online news.
The idea behind this assignment is to get you thinking about what kinds of things journalists want to include in a public statement about their ethics.
No two students may write about the same organization. So, as soon as you decide which organization you’re using, REPLY TO THIS POST and write the name of the organization and ALSO paste the complete URL of their ethics page on their site. If you are first, you can write about that one. If someone else named that one first, then you must choose another.
The reply with the organization name and URL is separate from your later reply, with the link to your own blog post. So you are going to reply TWICE to this post. Your second reply is for your blog post, which will be graded.
Contents of your blog post
- Write notes about at least four (4) separate ideas in the ethics statement you have chosen.
- Your notes must appear in the form of one (1) numbered list.
- Write each note as a complete and grammatically correct sentence (or sentences).
- Do not quote from the ethics statement, and do not rewrite (paraphrase) what is written there. Write about the IDEA or the INTENT. Think for yourself. Process the idea and say it in your own words.
- Write a brief statement above the list to explain or summarize it.
- Include the name of the news organization AND provide a functional link directly to the ethics statement.
Requirements for your blog post
- The length must be (minimum) 300 to (maximum) 500 words.
- Write intelligently so that a prospective employer, reading your post, will think you are smart and discerning.
- Write an appropriate and interesting headline for your blog post.
- After you publish your blog post ON YOUR OWN BLOG, copy the URL of your post page and paste it in a REPLY to this post, here, on this blog. If you paste a complete URL on a line by itself, it will automatically become a working link. That is what I want.
Please read about grading criteria for blog posts in this course. Those criteria apply to all blog post assignments.
Tuesday, Sept. 17, at 9 a.m.
Your reply posted here must be submitted before 09:00:00 in order to receive credit.